Monday, February 1, 2010

Starting with A

My wise and talented gardening Grandfather and I sat down recently to talk over some basic gardening. I wanted my very first crop to be something Hardy that would be tough for me to screw up, and something that I know my husband and I would enjoy. After listening and asking 1,000 questions to my Pappy, I decided my first attempt at gardening will be asparagus. He says that it needs alot of sun, and is one of the earliest to plant. The thing I found most exciting thing about it is that it grows back every year, no need to replant!
Unfortunately after doing some research I found that the asparagus should be left alone the at least first year to develop so that future years produce strong crops (some sites suggest waiting til the third year before harvesting). I still plan to plant them, but in the mean time I need to pick a second crop to plant this fall to appease my inner gardener.
Since I'm starting with A, I've decided my second choice is Arugala.

Arugala Planting Directions
Plant ¼ inch deep and 1 inch apart in rows, partial shade is ok
Make new plantings every 2 to 3 weeks for a continuous supply until a month before your anticipated first frost, seems simple enough.

Other things to consider planting in March: Chives, Shallots, Endive, Potatoes

Sources: Online research led me here http://www.motherearthnews.com/Organic-Gardening/What-To-Plant-Now.aspx

A site that lets you know what time of year to plant each vegetable according to your region, and gives tips for how to succeed.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Organic-Gardening/2007-02-01/Asparagus.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment