Monday, February 1, 2010

Why I want to Garden

Most people shop at the grocery store. Some go organic, others get delivery and plenty visit the farmers market. I love walking amongst the booths at the farmers market seeing the people that work so hard to grow beautiful fresh produce and all the fruits and veggies lined up on the tables. While I don't want to quit my day job and start farming full-time, I crave the fulfillment of starting something from scratch and reaping the fruits of my labor. My grandfather always grew a large home garden every year and I loved peaking over the fence seeing all the rows of plants meticulously planted in little rows peak up at out the soil, growing up vines and smelling the fresh herbs along the perimeter, basil and mint still stir this childlike emotion deep in my memory. Even more exciting for me was to play in his cellar with my cousins amongst all of his canned produce. We would play "grocery store" at his house, lining up all the cans and jars on the shelves. He still plants a garden every year and is a master gardener. My father started his own garden a few years ago with zucchini, red peppers, hot banana peppers and wonderful sweet and delicious heirloom tomatoes. As a very picky child I disliked tomatoes on their own, and would rarely eat them if not in sauce form, however after seeing how hard my dad worked to get his garden up and growing, I decided to give it a try. I was amazed how sweet it was, I felt I could just eat slice after slice on it's own, and after the crop was over I craved more! I couldn't believe how tomatoes could taste so different, than the ones from the grocery store, I became a total convert.
Now ideally I would have no hesitation, however I have very little inherent follow through in my personality. I often set goals, or get excited for projects and then loose my enthusiasm quickly. Because of this, and the fact that I seem to have a black thumb with house plants, I am going to try really hard to stay committed to my goal to at least produce three crops successfully. Further down the road, I would love to adventure into canning and build my gardening knowledge to all sorts of plants.
So hear I go, wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment