Thursday, September 16, 2010

"This is Why You're Fat"

Jackie Warner, famed trainer from the Bravo network shows Thintervention and previously Workout wrote "This Is Why You're Fat (And How to Get Thin Forever): Eat More, Cheat More, Lose More--and Keep the Weight Off". I haven't purchased the book yet, but I have skimmed the Look Inside feature and watched Thintervention in attempts to gain some knowledge on her philoshophy. It covers most of what I already have heard, but has a simple to follow plan that seems to work for me when I follow it to heart. This is what I took from perusing the info provided (not at all meant to provide as much info as in the book

Diet:
EVERY DAY FOR THE NEXT FOURTEEN DAYS, ADD IN THE FOLLOWING FOODS:
Eggs (2 daily)
Oatmeal (1 cup daily)
Hormone-Balancing,
Detox Vegetables (2-3 cups daily)
Fresh Fruit (2 servings is 2 whole fruits)
Water and Lemon Juice Herbal Teas
Whey Protein Shake (8-ounce serving daily)

Sample menu basics: four proteins, three veggies, two grains, two fruits, and one fat per day.

My interpretation of her sample menus from the book:
BREAKFAST
Protein (2 eggs) hardboiled, sunnyside up, scrambled no added fats
1 cup of chopped fresh veggies (or 1/4 c avo, I usually add spinach tomatoes, zucchini and/or broccoli to my omlets)
Multivitamin

SNACK
Fruit (1 cup of fresh berries, for example)
Grain (1 cup of oatmeal)

LUNCH
4 ounces of protein (sirloin steak, chicken breast, scallops, shrimp, or 2 eggs)
1 cup of a vegetable or 1 baked sweet potato

SNACK
~Protein shake (scoop of whey mixed with water and 1 cup fresh fruit, for example)
~OR 1/4 cup Almonds (I like Emerald Cocoa Roast Almonds) with 1 cup of fresh fruit or apple
~OR 1 oz cheese with an apple

DINNER
4 ounces of protein (sirloin steak, chicken breast, scallops, shrimp, or 2 eggs)
Vegetable (1 cup of steamed broccoli, for example)
Grain with Bfast OR Dinner (1 slice Whole Wheat bread, 1 cup of oatmeal OR 1 cup of brown rice)

~I try not to do the same protein twice in one day, or the same grain. If I don't have time to make eggs for breakfast, I'll eat the Oatmeal with fruit for breakfast and have 2 hardboiled eggs and 1 cup of raw veggies that I can take on the go.

~Another option for a snack I sometimes substitute is 1 ounce of cheese and an organic apple (and yes I weigh the cheese along with my 4 oz of lowfat proteins)

~As for right now I also drink coffee in the morning, but I am planning to cut that out in the next month and I really try to drink as much Lemon water as possible. Jackie does emphasize the importance of adding lemon juice to the water for extra fat burning power, and the value of eating the yellows of the egg for the same reason.

~There is great value to eating 6 meals a day 2 hours apart, and I really try to space the meals out 2 hours. She also encourages two cheat meals on the weekends to give your mind and body a break from dieting.

~I think a big part in my recent success has been lowering my sugar intake. On the show, she had participants purge their homes of foods that had over 6 or 7 grams of sugar per serving (which I now look at nutrition labels for)

~My interpretation of Detox Vegetables is spinach, tomatoes, zucchini and/or broccoli (ie. not corn) and for fruits I'm sticking with apples, pears and berries (not bananas, ewe, or grapes which are high in sugar), it may be more defined in the book

~my only gripe is the lack of Calcium, so I'm alternating adding in milk and considering Calcium supplements


Cardio Workout:
20 min
"Raise ramp to maximum uphill and slow walk (almost a lunge) for 2 minutes. Then lower the ramp and run for 2 minutes. Take 1 minute to bring your heart rate down and then start over. Repeat 4 more times (equals a 20 minute session). It’s less boring too! "

Variations:
Do 4,5min intervals swim or run or bike
2min Medium pace swim or 40% bike or uphill walk
2min Fast pace swim or 80% bike or no hill run
1 min Recovery slow pace

Strength Training:
"Women, make sure to include weight training at least 3-4 days a week. If you add 3-5 pounds of muscle to your body, you will burn 250-500 extra calories per day which equals 3-5 pounds of fat loss per week"

"The only muscle groups that really burn fat are the primary muscles like the chest, back, quads, glute and hamstrings. Focus hard on those!"

"Your body hits a plateau with cardio and resistance training in one month so change your weight, reps and exercises accordingly"
"The fastest way to get the body you want is through my power circuit training. Combine 3 upper body exercises and 3 lower body exercises together to make one big set. Do not rest in between and alternate quickly from upper to lower for maximum fat burn."

No comments:

Post a Comment